Saturday, March 14, 2009

Rainy Day in February

Today was rather exciting. I had to pick up 2 dogwoods and three azaleas to plant for one of my customers. I got one tree planted and had to quit due to the rain. But it was for the best since it freed me up to go down to the NRCS office so I could apply for some assistance as a beginning farmer. The way the program works is that funding assistance is provided to farmers so they can implement soil/water conservation practices, as well as several other programs. I am very hopeful that this will facilitate moving out to the farm sooner rather than later.
Some of the projects I'd like to complete are installing 1 or 2 wells, fencing out the creek bottoms, installing some creek crossings, as well as planting pasture forage. Monday, I'll be taking my grandmother AKA Mimi, to the FSA office in Carrollton to register and get a farm number. I learned about this while perusing the Nature's Harmony Farm website. I really hope to emulate what Tim and Liz Young are doing.
This is me carrying Sarah Jane at the farm.
They say it'll rain all weekend and I welcome it completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment